Saturday, April 8, 2017

Mind Mapping: Characters in a story


I chose the tool Popplet to create a mind map showing students a creative way they can describe a character in a story. Popplet is another fun and easy tool for anyone to learn how to use and is a fun way to present information. You can use this tool for all ages and grades and can be used to teach any subject. I have used this tool to teach my students how to describe a character in a story, we have been focusing on describing characters and thinking about each character in a story after we finish reading a story together in class. My students will have an opportunity to learn how to use Popplet and will be given a chance to experiment with it on the computers in the classroom. They will also be given the assignment to create their own Popplet describing a character from the story we read in class. They will be given the choice to work alone or with a partner on this assignment. This will help me know if they understand the concept of describing a character in a story.  I have used Popplet for a few of my other classes as well and it has been very useful. Hopefully my student will enjoy using this tool as much as I do because I know it will benefit them now and in future years to come.
What are some other ideas for teaching 1st graders about characters in a story?
What are some of your favorite tools to use?















Reading: Literature Standard 3
Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.

ISTE: Knowledge Constructor 
I critically select, evaluate, and synthesis digital resources into a collection that reflects my learning and builds my knowledge.

Educational Technology Standard 5:
Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom. (3,4)

Popplet:Describe a Character in a story



No comments:

Post a Comment