Sunday, January 14, 2018

Equity & UDL: Recruiting Interest

  1. What does the research say about this? We talked about technology equity and Universal Design for Learning. Research shows that equity and equality are not the same, what one person needs is not always the same as what the other person needs. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) research helps us know how to maximize learning for ALL students. If we break down UDL into different parts we understand that the word universal means teaching curriculum that can be understood by everyone, the word Learning is the different parts of the brain we use that help us learn the what, why, and how's, and the design is about making the curriculum flexible and being able to fit it to everyones needs. 
  2. How can this be effectively integrated into your teaching? I loved what they said at the beginning of the video clip we watched in class "the way people learn is as unique as their fingertips." All classrooms have diversity, every child is different. We need to think about what we want our students to know, feel, and do and figure out what the barriers are in our classrooms so we can help them learn. Because of the diversity in classrooms research says to provide multiple means of representation, provide multiple means of action and expression, and provide multiple means of engagement to help ALL students learn. 
  3. How will this help your students? When we show the curriculum in different ways, allow students to approach learning, and offer options to students they will have a greater learning experience. 
  4. What are your goals with regard to this topic? My goal is to get to know each of my students and their needs so that I can figure out what I want them to know, feel, and do and to also be good at finding the barriers that hinder them from learning. I want my students to love learning and so I want to be good at providing multiple means of engagement so that ALL my students can succeed.  
  5. How does this shape your vision for empowered learning for your students? It gets me excited to learn new tools and ways to teach my students so that they can have different choices and more learning opportunites. It helps me see that although every child may learn differently, they can all be engaged in learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment